Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
What is a piece of furniture? A table, a chair, a shelf?
It is easy to think first of various ... moreWhat is a piece of furniture? A table, a chair, a shelf?
It is easy to think first of various structures – of table tops, seats and shelves held up by bases, rails and legs. But the most original types of furniture – which we still use in nature – are organic, growing forms. A stone, a rock surface or a tree trunk all function excellently to provide support and act as a seat. Or even to be laid as a picnic table.
“Ticka” is this kind of furniture: organically shaped shelves and seats inspired by the forest fungus called polypore (“ticka” in Swedish). Also called bracket fungus, this fungus is often found growing on trees but also sometimes on the ground. Many species have been very important to humans over the centuries, such as Fomes fomentarius (tinder fungus or hoof fungus), which checks bleeding and Phellinus igniarius (willow bracket or fire sponge), which was prized as kindling for fires. The furniture suite “Ticka” has been created by upholsterer Carina Grefmar and furniture designer Louise Hederström with the basic concept of showcasing both of their skill sets. Via a close-knit process of discussions, sketches and models, they display the qualities of both craft and design.
“Ticka” is created from leftover pieces of leather. This material was carefully selected for environmental and aesthetic reasons. In today’s leather processing industry, considerable amounts of the tanned leather are normally rejected. The demands for perfection are so high that the smallest stain or irregularity is enough to send the finished leather to the scrap heap. But this scarred leather with its visible marks is precisely what is used for “Ticka”. “We think it’s beautiful,” Carina and Louise say. “The scarred feeling gives the pieces more character and life.”
“Ticka project” – a collaboration that challenges the meeting of craft and design.
The shelves were developed as a collaboration between the Louise Hederström and upholsterer Carina Grefmar as part of the project Den Nya Kartan. Also as a touring exhibition during 2015 and 2016 at Form Design Center in Malmö, the Nationalmuseum in Stockholm and Vandalorum in Värnamo. The work with Ticka seats has been made possible with funding from the Swedish Arts Grants Committee.
- Text by Ingrid Sommar
DESIGNER: Louise Hederström
Louise is a furniture designer based in Malmö. After graduating in 1998 from Beckmans School of Design in Stockholm, she now has an extensive business as a designer. Her clients include some of the most respected manufacturing companies in Scandinavian design, such as Offecct, Skagerak and Maze. Louise regularly participates in exhibitions in Sweden and abroad and has also repeatedly been an instructor for various design education programmes.
MANUFACTURER: Carina Grefmar
Carina is a furniture upholsterer based in Malmö. With a special focus on modern furniture classics, Studio Carina Grefmar, based in Malmö, re-covers all types of furniture, particularly with leather. Carina also works on special projects such as prototype development together with designers, as well as whole interiors. Her recurring clients include both private customers and companies such as furniture manufacturers, joiners, carpenters, restaurants and several of Sweden’s leading design and antique dealers.
Available in three sizes:
Small: 9.5" H x 13" D x 17.25" W
Medium: 12.25" H x 16.5" D x 30" W
Large: 11.75" H x 16.5" D x 43.25" W less
- 17.25ʺW × 13ʺD × 9.5ʺH
- Item Type
- Mint Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Good condition. Good condition. less
- Organic Modern
- Place of Origin
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.