Looking to purchase online? Ask the dealer if it's available.
Given by King Frederick William IV of Prussia to his sister Alexandrine, the Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, this exquisite krater ... moreGiven by King Frederick William IV of Prussia to his sister Alexandrine, the Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, this exquisite krater vase by KPM Berlin has both a fascinating royal provenance and spectacular artistry. The model, based on the famed Medici Krater in the Uffizi in Florence, was very rarely executed by the porcelain manufactory due to its size and technically complex form, and was reserved almost exclusively for the most lavish of gifts. The present example, with its sumptuous painting and exquisite detail, is no exception. Once part of the world-renowned Twinight Collection of Royal Porcelain and displayed at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Sèvres Porcelain Museum in France, this one-of-a-kind porcelain vase is an exceptional artifact of Prussian royal history.The splendor and sophistication of the craftsmanship on display in this krater vase is indicative of its extraordinary provenance. The entire surface of the rare form features the absolute finest gilt decoration interwoven into the impeccable hand-painted classical motifs. Masterfully executed on each side are topographical views of the royal country seats in Silesia, painted with painstaking precision within rectangular fields that reflect the beauty and tranquility of the countryside.Charmingly situated in the rolling valleys of the Riesengebirge, the resorts in Silesia were highly favored by the Prussian royal family, and the estates were greatly expanded during the reign of King Friedrich Wilhelm III. The king was personally involved in the installation of the 13th-century medieval stave church, which was purchased at auction in Norway and painstakingly reconstructed in Brückenberg. Still standing to this day, it remains one an architectural gem of the Riesengebirge.It was perhaps due to his father’s interest in the site that King Frederick William IV ordered the church be represented on this extraordinary gift to his sister. Registered in the king’s order book as a personal gift, the vase’s entry reads “Two ‘no. 3’ vases with views of Schloss Erdmannsdorf and Erdmannsdorf from Rothersberg: the Norwegian church in Brücken and the Schweiserhaus on the Rothersberg, with pedestals.” Sadly, the mate to the present work was destroyed during World War II, making this extraordinary vase the only of its kind.Commissioned by the King of Prussia as a personal gift to his sister and created by one of the greatest names in porcelain, this gorgeous vase is not only an awe-inspiring work of art, but also one of the most significant Royal porcelain pieces to come on the market in recent decades. less
- 23.88ʺW × 23.88ʺD × 20ʺH
- Mid 19th Century
- KPM Porcelain
- Place of Origin
- Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
More From This DealerView All
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.