This stunning and iconic cocktail table was realized in the United States by the legendary Mid Century designers- the LaVerne ... moreThis stunning and iconic cocktail table was realized in the United States by the legendary Mid Century designers- the LaVerne brothers- circa 1960. Hand crafted in a combination of polychromed bronze & pewter, this piece, from their celebrated "Chan Series," this table displays one of the LaVerne brothers most recognizable motifs- Chinoiserie scenes from the royal courts. This piece offers a landscape scene with a summer pavilion replete with a cast of characters including warriors, civilians, and natural elements. Two guards holding staffs flank the entrance to the pavilion- a wall that extends diagonally across the composition with a pagoda style top. In the left corner, a man enters the mise-en-scene on horseback holding a tall staff with a balled end mace. Opposite him, another male figure strides into the composition on horseback leading another equine figure. In the middle ground, two female figures in civilian garb hold a rectangular shaped box- presumably a gift to the emperor. In the bottom left corner, three soldiers stand idly holding kamas, spears and other antediluvian weapons. In the background, behind the pavilion walls, a serene lake is depicted with floating ducks and gentle waves. It sits on four cylindrical ringed legs, evocative of stylized bamboo branches. The legs are adjoined by demilune shaped supports with balled ends. The table exhibits their signature (and patented) finish, which they developed through extensive research, combing through books in the New York Public Library. The patenation process involved submerging pieces of brass in special soil imported from the far east with their proprietary chemical brew, causing the piece to oxidize in a controlled manner. The brass and pewter would turn different colors at specific stages, earning this signature method of patenation the nickname the "rainbow process. This piece represents a striking and timeless example of the LaVerne Brothers practice. Its iconoclastic aesthetic is as relevant now as it was when it was created more than fifty years ago. The Laverne tagline, from advertisements in the 1960s: " It's not just functional and not just art, it's an investment" still holds true to this day. This piece is signed "Kelvin & Philip LaVerne" and is in excellent condition. American, Circa 1960 Dimensions: 30"D X 30"W X 17.25"H less
- 30ʺW × 30ʺD × 17.25ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- EXCELLENT EXCELLENT less
- Place of Origin
- United States of America
- Table Shape
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.