George Nelson Original 1962 Catenary Chair w/Ottoman -Red Leather
Mid century Modern
Chair size 30 x 21 x 29" ... moreGeorge Nelson Original 1962 Catenary Chair w/Ottoman -Red Leather
Mid century Modern
Chair size 30 x 21 x 29"
seat height 15"
Ottoman size 30 x 22 x 15"
seat height 15"
Architect, designer, and writer, George Nelson was a central figure in the mid-century American modernist design movement; and his thoughts influenced not only the furniture we live with, but also how we live. Nelson came to design via journalism and literature. Upon receiving his bachelor’s degree in architecture from Yale in 1931, he won the Prix de Rome fellowship, and spent his time in Europe writing magazine articles that helped bring stateside recognition to Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Gio Ponti, Le Corbusier and other canonical modernist architects. In the 1940s, Nelson wrote texts that suggested such now-commonplace ideas as open-plan houses, storage walls and family rooms. D.J. Depree, the owner of the furniture maker Herman Miller Inc., was so impressed by Nelson that in 1944 — following the sudden death of Gilbert Rohde, who had introduced the firm to modern design in the 1930s — he invited Nelson to join the company as its design director.There Nelson’s curatorial design talents came to the fore. To Herman Miller he brought such eminent creators as Charles and Ray Eames, Isamu Noguchi, and the textile and furniture designer Alexander Girard. Thanks to a clever contract, at the same time as he directed Herman Miller he formed a New York design company, George Nelson & Associates, that sold furniture designs to the Michigan firm, as well as its competitor, the Howard Miller Clock Company. Nelson’s New York team of designers (who were rarely individually credited) would create such iconic pieces as the “Marshmallow” sofa, the “Coconut” chair, the “Ball” clock, the “Bubble” lamp series and the many cabinets and beds that comprise the sleek “Thin-Edge” line.
For dedicated collectors, as well as for interior designers who look beyond “the look,” there is a “cool-factor” inherent to vintage pieces from George Nelson and others. Nelson was in on it from the start, and it’s valuable to have a piece that was there with him. But still, as is evident from the offerings from dealers on these pages, in any of the designs, in any iteration whose manufacture Nelson oversaw and encouraged, there are shining elements of lightness, elegance, sophistication —and a little bit of swagger. George Nelson felt confident in his ideas about design and didn’t mind letting the world know. less
- 30ʺW × 21ʺD × 29ʺH
- Item Type
- Vintage, Antique or Pre-owned
- Good Condition, Original Condition Unaltered, Some Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history Excellent - Minor wear consistent with age and history less
- Place of Origin
- North America
- Seat Height
- 15.0 inches
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
Enter a zip code for precise shipping costs.
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.