A 19th century neoclassical bronze portrait bust of Theodore Lyman (1833-1897), a wealthy Bostonian natural scientist, Lieutenant Colonel during the ...
moreA 19th century neoclassical bronze portrait bust of Theodore Lyman (1833-1897), a wealthy Bostonian natural scientist, Lieutenant Colonel during the Civil War and United States Representative from Massachusetts, by sculptor Richard Saltonstall Greenough (1819-1904). Signed and dated R.S. Greenough 1886 on the back, with the name of the Nelli Foundry, Rome where it was cast.
Theodore Lyman studied at Harvard University's Lawrence Scientific School and studied under Professor Louis Agassiz, one of the preeminent natural scientists of the 19th century. He graduated with honours in 1858. Lyman was a founding member and underwriter of Harvard's Museum of Comparative Anatomy.
Richard Greenough's work is in the collections of the Boston Athenaeum, Old City Hall Boston, Harvard University, the Brooklyn Museum and the United States Capitol. He was the younger brother of sculptor Horatio Greenough with whom he worked in Rome for most of his career.
A plaster version of this bust resides at the Lyman Estate, owned by Historic New England, in Waltham, Massachusetts. less
- 23ʺW × 12ʺD × 29ʺH
- Late 19th Century
- Place of Origin
- Very Good Condition, Vintage / Antique / Used, Original Condition Unaltered, No Imperfections
- Condition Notes
- Excellent Condition. Wear consistent with age and use Excellent Condition. Wear consistent with age and use less
- Art Subject
Shipping & ReturnsView Policy
All sales are final unless covered under the Buyer Guarantee.
For Made-to-Order items, refer to the product description for lead times and delivery window specific to your item. For all other items, please see below:
- Free Shipping
- Free shipping is offered on select listings.
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
- Larger items and furniture may take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
- Free Local Pickup
- Local pickup allows customers to inspect an item in person and avoid shipping costs
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification & Seller's contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate pickup
- Parcel Delivery
- Shipment arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges start at $9 — Dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Items are typically delivered within 2 weeks of the purchase date
- DECASO White Glove Delivery
- Item is delivered inside your home
- Deliveries typically take about up to 6 weeks
- Delivery may take up to 8 weeks in more remote locations
- Shipping charges start at $299, depending on product type, value, size and location
- Seller Managed Delivery
- Shipping offered and managed by the seller
- Pickup and delivery through a shipper of the seller’s choice
- Available on items at the seller’s discretion
- Seller Managed Local Delivery
- Local curbside delivery handled by the seller within a limited geography
- A confirmation email is sent after the purchase with: Pickup Verification Code & Seller’s contact information
- Please contact the seller within 5 days to coordinate delivery
- Prior to shipping or local pickup, buyers may cancel an order for any reason.
- Please notify us within 24 hours of purchase if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges.
Under the DECASO Buyer Guarantee, all sales are final unless your item is:
- Entirely different than what you purchased
- If any of the above applies, email email@example.com within 48 hours of delivery, and if applicable DECASO will issue a full refund, including the outbound and return shipping charges.
- Local Pickup & Local Delivery
- All sales final once buyer takes possession of item.
- If you decide to cancel the order at pick up, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup or delivery from the seller. Do not take the item with you or accept the curbside delivery.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return.